No matter your commitment to health, it can be tricky to get your family to switch to keto. Especially if you already have dietary restrictions. A lot of keto-friendly recipes use dairy to get the needed fat intake. But if you’re vegan, keto can be a bit tougher. And getting the family to eat more vegetables is never simple. But with these three recipes, you’re bound to create filling and delicious meals your whole family can enjoy.
Butter Chicken Meatballs
Who doesn’t love meatballs? This delicious butter-free option for buttered meatballs is sure to be a family favorite. And with the cauliflower rice, you can be sure everyone gets their vegetables in.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ red onion
- ½ cup carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Butter Chicken Sauce
- ½ cup ghee
- 1 diced onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Add everything except ground chicken into a food processor and set to fast chop.
- Add into a bowl with the ground chicken
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and roll chicken mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. The meatballs will not be fully cooked. Set them aside.
- Heat up half the ghee in a stock pot, over medium heat.
- Add onion, saute until translucent, and then add garlic, and all the spices. Turn the heat down to low-medium.
- Add the rest of the ghee and the other sauce ingredients and bring to a slow boil.
- Add in the chicken meatballs
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with cauliflower rice, and it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Vegan Zoodle Lasagna
If you’ve spent any time on the keto diet you’re probably familiar with zucchini noodles or zoodles. But I bet you didn’t know you could have a delicious cheese-free lasagne your whole family will love!
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes
- To make the basil-cashew cheese, soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse well.
- Add the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Dice the onions and add them in. Cook until soft. Add in garlic.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, and basil
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, or, if your family is adventurous, add in red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Slice each zucchini into ½ inch thick slices. Salt heavily and set aside for 20 minutes to drain the water.
- Squeeze and drain.
- Spread your zoodles on the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Spread on the tomato sauce. Spread cheese.
- Layer lasagne until all your zucchini noodles, sauce and cheese have been used. End with a layer of sauce and cheese, garnish with fresh basil and olive oil.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 20 minutes. Let lasagna rest for 15 minutes.
Cauliflower Lettuce Wraps
Finger foods aren’t exactly easy when the bread is off the table. But we’re sure the kids will love to get their hands on these delicious and healthy lettuce wraps. They’re packed full of all kinds of vegetables, they’re portable, and they’re really fun to eat!
- 1 head of cauliflower, shredded into rice
- 2 ½ cup mushrooms
- ½ cup carrots
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 head lettuce
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp ginger root
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- Grate cauliflower into rice, grate carrot, chop onion, bell pepper, mushroom, and ginger. Mince garlic
- In a large pan, saute onions until they’re softened. Add carrots, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Continue sauteing till the veggies are a sauce.
- Mix all sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk until fully blended
- Add cauliflower rice and mix well. Add sauce and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Tear off large lettuce leaves and fill with mixture
Gluten and dairy free recipes that are keto friendly can be hard to come by. Getting your family involved in the keto diet is the healthy option, but it isn’t always the easiest one. With these filling, fun recipes, you can be sure your family stays healthy and happy.