Just because you're on a keto diet doesn't mean you can't enjoy some chocolate-flavored pancakes. Made with coconut and almond flours and enriched with chocolate-flavored collagen peptides, these keto pancakes are both keto-approved and delicious. They're also incredibly light and fluffy – as pancakes should be.
Making them is also easy. All you need to do is follow our recipe instructions below and watch our tutorial and you'll have 22 pancakes ready in just 15 minutes. You can even freeze any leftover pancakes for up to a week.
Keep reading to learn more about these pancakes, including why they are so good, how nutritious they are, and what health benefits they provide. You can also read our tips and why using our collagen peptides makes these pancakes all the more keto.
Chocolate Keto Pancakes Recipe
To make these keto chocolate pancakes, you will need is a non-stick frying pan, some clarified butter or oil for frying, and 15 minutes of your time.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 22 pancakes
- 6 large Egg
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp Unsweetened almond milk*
- 2 tbsp Erythritol**
- 1 tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut flour
- 1 cup Almond flour***
- 2 tbsp Keto Protein Chocolate Flavor Powder
1. Lightly whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Add the protein powder after you've whisked the other ingredients for easier blending. Your batter should be the consistency of typical pancake batter – not too thick nor too runny.
2. Preheat a greased frying pan over low to medium-low heat. Drop a dollop of batter onto the pan until it forms a circle. Wait for bubbles to form on top and flip the pancake. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the other side has lightly browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
* Use coconut milk or other keto-friendly dairy substitutes if you don’t have almond milk.
** Substitute erythritol with stevia or another sugar-free sweetener of your liking. You may also skip the sweetener if you're using our protein powder as it already has stevia in it.
*** Use blanched and finely ground almond flour for best results.
The pancakes are best when served warm with a rich topping such as butter, cream, or sugar-free syrup. If you don’t eat the pancakes immediately, you can freeze them once they've cooled down and heat in a microwave or oven.
These keto pancakes are relatively low in calories but rich in healthful nutrients. If you eat just two of these 3-inch pancakes, you get around 120 calories. If you add a topping, such as butter or sugar-free syrup, you get an additional 40 calories. Their keto macros per two pancakes look like this:
- Fat - 9g
- Carbs - 4g
- Net Carbs - 1 g
- Fiber - 3 g
- Protein - 8 g
Besides these wonderful keto macros, you get plenty of vitamins and minerals from these flapjacks. They're exceptionally rich in vitamin E from the almond milk and flour. They also provide the daily requirements for vitamin A, iron, zinc, calcium, selenium, folate, and other essential vitamins and minerals.
These pancakes can make a great addition to your daily keto meal plan. On a keto diet, you need to eat 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. How much of each macro you should eat exactly depends on factors like weight, age, physical activity, and dieting goals. Use our keto calculator to get your personalized daily macros and see how these pancakes fit into your daily meal plan.
Getting keto pancakes to be light and fluffy can be tricky. Most recipes call for almond flour, which is perfectly fine. But almond flour often makes for dense dough – and we don't want that in our pancakes. The addition of coconut flour makes all the difference here because coconut flour absorbs excess moisture, helping create a fluffier pancake.
Another thing that makes these pancakes so great is the protein powder. Collagen peptides act differently from whey protein when used in baking: they improve the texture of food without affecting the taste. The chocolate from this powder, however, will change the taste of these pancakes for the better.
These pancakes are also versatile. You can add all kind of toppings, including butter, sugar-free syrup, berries, and cream. Just make sure your topping is keto-approved. Alternatively, add berries or nuts to the batter if you want to experiment.
Chocolate Keto Pancakes Health Benefits
You already know that these pancakes are incredibly nutritious, which is the main reason why they're so good for you. But their individual ingredients provide a whole range of other health benefits as well:
- Heart health – Studies show that almonds and coconuts improve cardiovascular health [1, 2]. Almonds, and coconuts contain antioxidants (such as vitamin E) and healthy fats (saturated and monounsaturated) both of which protect against atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Youthful skin – Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body. It makes up most of our connective tissue, including our skin. Unfortunately, we lose collagen with age and this causes skin wrinkling . Taking collagen supplements such as our keto protein powder is a proven way to improve skin elasticity according to some studies .
- Appetite control– These pancakes don't just help with weight loss just because they're keto. They also help shed the pounds because they suppress appetite thanks to the eggs. One study found that eating just 2 eggs for breakfast suppresses appetite more than eating oatmeal .
- Brain health – Those on ketogenic diets notice their mind becoming razor sharp thanks to the effects ketones have on their brain. But if almonds have been a big part of your diet since you started your keto journey, then this could also be behind better focus. Countless studies show almonds to be nature's brain boosters, mostly thanks to the brain-protective effects of vitamin E, antioxidants, and healthy fats [6, 7].
Our Keto Protein Chocolate Flavor Powder gives these pancakes are softer texture and decadent chocolate flavor for an added twist. But the best thing about this powder is that it is a convenient way to add protein to your meals.
The collagen peptides used specifically in this powder are from pasture-raised bovine hide collagen. Collagen peptides are short-chain amino acids that we need to take from food. These peptides help replenish your body's collagen supplies without kicking you out of ketosis as can happen with many other protein powders.
The powder also includes MCT oil for additional keto benefits.. All this makes this powder a complete keto supplement. You'll notice the powder dissolve easily in your pancake batter. Just give it a few whisks in the end and your batter is ready to go in the pan.
Additional Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to use blanched, finely ground almond flour to get a smooth batter. Using almond meal or unbalanced almond flour will result in a pancake with a gritty texture. The same goes true for coconut flour.
- You can substitute the almond milk for other keto-approved milk substitutes like coconut milk. However, coconut milk tends to be high in fat — a whopping 25% at that. This may affect the texture and flavor of your pancakes. Go for thin coconut milk to play it safe.
- Keep the heat low to medium-low to avoid burning the pancakes. These pancakes cook best on a lower heat setting. Chances are they'll burn before they're fully cooked if you cook if your pan is too hot.
- Use gluten-free baking powder to keep track of your macros since most baking powders contain cornstarch.
- You can adjust the ingredients if you want more or fewer servings. Simply double or half the ingredients if you want to make one dozen, two dozens, or even more pancakes.
- Once you try out these delicious, fluffy, and keto-approved chocolate pancakes, we're sure you'll add them to your weekend breakfasts because they're that good. Knowing that they’re also healthy is another reason why you’d want to add the to your weekly meal plan.
- They are so easy and simple to make, but best of all – they make for a complete keto meal. The blend of coconut and almond flour is what makes these pancakes so light and fluffy. These two flours are also 100% keto and really good for your health in many other ways.
- Make sure to use our protein powder to get the desired results and watch our video if you want to get your pancakes just right.